Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Last Cricket Ball Artisan

It is said that dreams are the key to a person's soul. Very well, then, Dr. Jung: please explain what the corker that I had last night 'reveals' about my mind's innermost workings.

*
In this dream, I had started running a small shop in a busy arcade, selling only one product: cricket balls. These were not just any cricket balls, though - they were all hand-made by me. As the customers would walked into my shop, I would sit on a tall stool, lovingly stitching the meticulous seams. The balls were stuffed with straw, which I had harvested myself. For my customers and me, it was a pretty nice arrangement.

As I sat on the tall stool, I would sing a song to my customers. In a helpful bout of meta-commentary, the song was about the joys of stuffing and stitching cricket balls by hand. The song was sung to the tune of Outshined by Soundgarden (some things never change), and the first two lines went something like this:

I'll show you the cricket balls, I'd like to say
That they've all been hand-stuffed with hay. (Yeah)
*

Why is my brain thinking these things? Am I channeling a cricket-themed prophet? Answers, please.

No comments: