Saturday, March 14, 2009

Questions for Nokia

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am the proud owner of a Nokia Mobile Telephone, circa 1998. It has served me well during the time that I have been using it. Last week, however, when I was lying in bed, I decided to play one of your company's built-in games for a while rather than getting up and going to work.

The game that I chose was called 'Nature Park'. Although the gameplay itself was quite entertaining, I have several questions that I would like to ask you in relation to this product.

In case you no longer include 'Nature Park' with your new mobile telephones, allow me to refresh your memory: the game is a Tetris-like challenge, in which the player must arrange a series of coloured shapes neatly into a grid as they fall.

Here, then, are my key queries:

1. I do not fully understand why the game is titled 'Nature Park'. The grid seems to be located in some kind of 'space' setting, with a background of stars and galaxies. The most curious item in the background, though, is probably the Chipmunk-type animal that levitates next to the grid. The Chipmunk is housed in a small flying saucer. Although I realise that many nature parks do contain chipmunks or similar animals, I am also quite certain that few of these transport themselves in personalised flying saucer-type machines.

(n.b. I did, briefly, form a hypothesis as to the 'nature park' title: the omnipotent flying-saucer-travelling chipmunk could be seen as a comment on human fallibility - in which case the earth itself could be seen as a kind of 'nature park' for the omniscient chipmunk's benefit, with the human species as the main attraction - a Nietzscheian reversal of fortune, if you will. Please let me know if this alternative hypothesis is valid.)

2. The allegiance of the chipmunk in relation to the human player is unclear, or at least unstable. The chipmunk looks pleased when the human player scores points (i.e. his flying saucer starts jiggling up and down rapidly, and he starts smiling, insofar as this is possible for a rodent). But when the human player completes a level of the game, the chipmunk's flying saucer appears to crash. I cannot understand why the chipmunk would be happy at the player's success if the player's completion of a level results in the destruction of the chipmunk's primary mode of transportation. Further, the chipmunk's eyes begin to widen in agitation if the player is in danger of losing the game. But surely the chipmunk would be glad, not agitated, at the failure of the human player if this were the only way to save his saucer. (To further complicate matters, the chipmunk smiles when a point is scored. Why is this?)

3. On level 2, Chipmunk #1 is replaced by Cat #1 (also besaucered), whose prominent eyelashes and red, full lips lends it a feminine appearance. Again, Cat #1's attitude towards the human player's success or failure is unclear. Cat #1 licks her nose with her tongue when the human loses points. Does this mean something?

As I have not yet progressed beyond Level 2, I am unable to comment on further animal observers included in 'Nature Park'. However, I would be most grateful if you could address my current issues.

Kind regards,

Tim

No comments: